An Uninvited Cast Member Named Sandy

Production on ISN’T IT ROMANTIC? is scheduled to resume this Friday.  We also have a production meeting planned for Tuesday.  However, Mother Nature has thrown us a curve in the person of Hurricane Sandy, on course to wreak havoc on Connecticut Monday.  We’ve managed to overcome several obstacles and while this one may prove the most difficult, we’ll work through it as well.

Schools have already been closed for both Monday and Tuesday and coastal areas are being evacuated.  Predictions are that many branches and trees will be down and there will be power outages throughout the state.  It could be quite a mess, but I’m adopting a “wait and see” attitude.

Tuesday will probably a full day of recovery, so there’s a good chance the production meeting won’t come off.  I can work around that, using emails and phone calls to coordinate our plans.  We’ve already worked together for the first two days of shooting and the crew has the hang of it.  I have no actors traveling in from out of state, as the remaining scenes feature only our two leads, me and my co-writer.  So canceling the meeting really will pose little problem.

The shooting days scheduled for the weekend could be tricky.  Friday, we are shooting all exteriors.  Although the rain will be finished by then, fallen trees and branches and possibly rain soaked muddy turf could adversely affect the final scene.  We have to get some pick up shots of Danny and Diana arriving at an inn in their car.  That shouldn’t be a problem.  The final scene though, takes places outside in a yard next to the building.  I’m going to prepare a couple of different ways to shoot, just to get around any problems we may have.

If the power is out at the location house, that would pose a problem as well.  By Friday, one would think power would be restored everywhere, but last year, at the same time, late October, we had a freak snowstorm that knocked power out all over the state and some areas did not have power restored for two weeks or more.  That would not be good.

It might not affect us too badly.  We’ve been running the camera off the battery and we can make sure we bring enough replacements.  We may not need lights to shoot outdoors, depending on conditions.  The owners of the home also have a generator, so they will have lights inside.  We should be able to shoot no matter what.

Saturday will be a different story if the power is out.  We will need lights for the interiors and I’m not sure their generator can accommodate movie lights.  I’ll just have to hope for the best.  If need be, I’ll reschedule.

So far, we’ve been able to work out everything and I won’t allow anything to sink this production.  There’s a great saying, “If you really want to do something, you’ll find a way.  If you don’t really want to do it, you’ll make excuses.”  I really  want to this.  I’ll find a way.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s